Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

LoTR Rohan Helmingas Warband - The Hair Pics

I got in a little more time on the Rohan the last few days. Mostly in between trying to write papers for work and school. I wasn't satisfied with a couple of the original head swaps that I did so I removed three, did a little filing raided a few more sprues and now I'm quite happy with the look. I think once they are painted up you won't be able to really tell the difference. I had to resculpt hair in order to get a seamless look from the new head to the old body. Instead of green stuff I decided to try out some Apoxie Sculpt that I have had laying around for a while now. Amazing stuff much easier to mix up and work with than green stuff. I'm not sure if it will have the same strength in the end but for my purposes strength is not a requirement. So here are some pictures of the hair on the eight miniatures that received head swaps:
And now some group shots before the primer goes on. I'll have to set these aside for a bit while I work on a commission job I accepted today. I have always wanted to paint a batch of Normans but didn't really want to own any. With LEG getting into the SAGA miniatures game I have my chance now. So a 6pt force of Normans is waiting to get prepped for painting. And now on to the Helmingas Warband (hopefully I will be able to find Grimbold soon, he too is currently out of production):
Can you tell what my favorite soda is from these pictures?

13 comments:

  1. Looking good. Doesn't GW make you happy with all their out of production and finecast remakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just ecstatic about looking at an online catalog full of out of production miniatures that will soon be recast in a cheaper material and be charged more money for them. Give me the metal!

      Delete
  2. Such brilliant patient work...mountain dew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If these were metal miniatures I would definitely agree on the patient part but with the plastics its pretty easy and hair is much easier than some of the "sculpting" I'm contemplating for the Royal Guard. And you are correct Mountain Dew it is!

      Delete
  3. I was right, it is Mountain Dew!! And now you've got more painting to do I see and this time you didn't have to buy the figures!! I haven't bought one figure this week, I've been a good girl. I can't see myself ever figuring out how to do conversions like you guys do. I'm off to paint now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are always more miniatures to paint. Some just take precedence over others at times. I haven't bought any new figures for almost two weeks now, on the other hand I am looking for two very specific miniatures and when I find them at the price I want I will buy them.
      We will get you on the conversion track, besides the best painted miniatures are the ones you have spilled your own blood on! I'll work you up a list of tools guaranteed to spill that blood on your minis. Good luck on the painting today!

      Delete
  4. I feel like I'm sweating blood on my mini's!! I've got to stop tinkering with this one and put it down, but I can't. It's time to face it, I'm addicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes definitely addicted. I know that when you ordered more miniatures before the first ones even arrived! And yes, at some point you just have to declare that you are finished with a piece. We still tease Teri about the lioness bust she worked on for six months. We finally took it away from her. It won best of show that con. So we definitely like to tinker.

      Delete
  5. Really good work, Kris. The hair is looking fantastic.

    -Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty pleased with it. I didn't want to have to mess with it to much and the Apoxie Sculpt was great for that.

      Delete
  6. Really good conversions: the hair is just the thing which make those Rohan warriors ... Rohan warriors!
    (I'm sorry but are they GW figures? not sure that I've understood !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. All of them are GW figures from the Rohan Warrior box set. The pieces are parts that I used for the conversions are from Gripping Beast and Wargames Factory Viking boxes. Once I replaced the head I had to "sculpt" new hair to smooth out the transition from the new head to the body.

      Delete