Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Monday, October 12, 2015

Up Scaling Calamity Building the Bakery

There are a couple of things going on with Calamity right now. In addition to continuing to turn out models for the small scale version I ordered the foamed PVC sheets that I intend to build the 28mm versions out of. From TAP Plastics I ordered ten sheets of 11"x17" white 1/8th thick sheets. These will form the bulk of my supporting walls. From Foamboard Source I ordered 1mm and 2mm thick foamed PVC by Sinco. I intend to use this for some of the bulk detailing, creating layers for stores fronts and what not.

Tonight I decided to tackle the bakery. I was working on a 28mm version of this as a prototype but never got around to going beyond that stage like I did for the newspaper office. I find the juxtaposition of the pitched roof with the false front on both the side and front quite interesting. Again I feel that roof lines will be quite important for the final version of Calamity as it will add a lot of visual interest. I'm also still toying with the thought of adding actual internal lighting to many of the buildings but I still haven't found a source of for scale kerosene fueled hurricane lamps. I have come across a couple of articles on making them from scratch but there might be a lot of lights to deal with. I can carve channels in the PVC to run wires up through the walls so that would effectively make them invisible. I could also light the stoves. Still thinking about this. I love the thought have running a night scenario lit only by the lanterns on the board.

I did another one of my infamous measure once, cut and screw up routines tonight. I really shouldn't do this when I'm distracted by other things. On to tonight's work:


My standard materials, mat board, ruler, mechanical pencil and a mat cutter

A page from my notebook, focused on dimensions

Translating actual dimensions to my odd 1/56th scale. This is also in my notebook.

Already doing some cutting, Here I'm gluing an interior support for the roof to the front false front.

A little dry fitting

Guess which wall is to short

repeating that cut, this time making sure to mark which way the length of the piece was really suppose to be running.

All the pieces ready to go

The back and the simple side wall

Adding in the front false front

Adding the side that forms the corner of the false front on the side

And from the other side. I know those 4 steel blocks are over kill holding everything together. On the other hand I can't accidentally knock anything over.

The back side

The front side. I didn't building the somewhat complicated door and funky side windows that make up the entry way. I'll have to figure that part out though when I building the 1/56th scale version.

No comments:

Post a Comment