Quotes

Life is short, break the rules. Forgive quickly, kiss slowly. Love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile. - Samuel Longhorne Clemens (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

AWI Project - Fife and Drum Primed

I wanted to make a painted comparison of the Fife and Drum against the Perry plastics so I cleaned up and primed eight minis last night. I have been working on painting stick work of Perry's of and on for a while now so I'll see if I can catch up with the Fife and Drum minis. I want to get a feel for how quickly the two different brands actually paint up. I have heard that Fife and Drum paint up very quickly while the Perry's are kind of start and stop. One thing I don't like about plastics, in general, is that at some point the detail disappears and you are left guessing on how to approach something with the brush. That's definitely true on the AWI Perry Continental Infantry. Typical areas of soft detail are on the minis right side below the arm. The coat just kind of loses all semblance of detail when there is really a lot going on.

The Perry's are definitely a bit taller and overall bigger than Fife and Drum, I don't think that will really be noticed on the table as long as they aren't mixed in the same unit.


Continental Infantry in coats

Continental Infantry in hunting shirts

Primed and ready to go.


7 comments:

  1. I really like the Fife & Drum figures. The Perry plastic Continentals seem to be very stiff legged to me. I much prefer the metals from Perry. The Foundry range is good and mix well with Perry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm leaning much the same way. The issue, as always, is the price point per miniature. I did buy a lot of Fife and Drum and he was quite kind to include a number of free figures along with my order. I think that Fife and Drum will probably make up the majority of my AWI troops when all is said and done.

      Delete
    2. When I was doing AWI and I am lucky enough to have hundreds of figures, I got a lot off of eBay. It takes a while and I was buying the odd pack to make up numbers and command figs etc.

      Delete
    3. Oh also the Eureka ragged Continentals mix in well with the above.

      Delete
    4. I hadn't thought about being able to find Fife and Drum on Ebay, I better setup a search there for them. I have looked at Eureka, not quite sure how I feel about them but if they mix in well then its worth giving them a try.

      Delete
  2. Hey, they look good in primer.They ought to be great in full color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look good in primer. Hopefully I can get some paint on them in the next day or two.

      Delete